Photo

Mazda 3 SP23: Spin on Oil Filter Conversion (2.3L only)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SP BLING

SP BLING

I have shares in Brasso!

• Admin
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:16 PM

Mazda 3 SP23 Spin on Oil Filter Conversion (2.3L only)

DIY Rating: Novice (Can you change the Oil in a car?)

Time: 30 minutes

Cost: Approx $100

Background:
The Mazda 2.3L Duratec engine found in the Mazda 3 SP23 was cursed with a cartridge style oil filter, instead of the conventional easy to use Spin-on filter. With the Mazda 3's starting to come out of warranty now, why not make servicing your own car a little easier? Thanks to Mazda's weird engineering, the Mazda 3's 2.0L engine uses a Spin-on style filter, even though the engines are the same apart from the engine displacement. So this enables us to easily convert to the Spin-on style from the 2.0L without any hassles at all on your 2.3L.

Attached File  SPINONCONVL.jpg   17.07K   54 downloads

Tools Required:
  • 10mm socket and ratchet - 3/8" or 1/2" will be needed (1/4" ratchet won't have enough leverage).
  • 17mm spanner/socket - to remove Oil sump bolt
  • Adjustable wrench for oil pressure switch
  • Car jack
  • Car Jack stands

Parts:
Only 3 parts are required from the conversion - Mazda Part #s L302-14-311 (Spin-on filter arm), LF01-14-342 (gasket) and the actual filter. You can order these through your local Mazda Spare parts or off the internet from Mazda Spare Parts retailers in the US - http://www.mazdastuf...?ProductID=2869.

Oil filters can be purchased from all leading car retailers, but just specify that you have a Mazda 3 2.0L :biggrin: - Ryco Part number: Z632. But if you order it as a kit from the US, they will also supply a genuine Mazda Oil filter as well :thumbsup:

Attached File  z632.jpg   10.48K   40 downloads

Along with this, you'll also need a little bit of plumbers/gas tape. This can be picked up from most hardware and automotive shops (inc Bunnings) for as little as $1.

Donít forget to pickup some fresh oil as well, as youíll need to change the oil at the same time!!!

Tech:
  • Jack the car up and Secure it with Jack Stands.
  • Remove the wind tray from beneath the engine. There are 7 x 10mm bolts holding this in place: 2 down each side, and 3 along the front right beneath the radiator.
  • Warm the car up to thin the engine oil and then place an oil pan under the engine and drain the oil by removing the oil drain bolt on the bottom of the sump. You will need to take off the oil filler cap on top of the engine to help the flow.
  • Once drained, re-install the sump plug and torque back up to factory specifactions (bloody tight)
  • Now onto the oil filter. Place an oil pan under the whole oil filter assembly to catch the oil.
  • At this point you can remove the existing cartridge filter if you want, but itís easier just to leave it attached and remove the whole oil filter and bracket assembly in one go.
  • Disconnect the wire leading to the oil pressure sensor on the arm above the oil filter.
  • Remove the 4 x 10mm head bolts that attach the oil filter assembly to the engine block and the whole filter assembly should now come free. A little gentle force may be required if the gasket is stickingÖ.
  • Remove any remaining gasket from the engine block and clean the area to remove any oil.
  • Remove the oil pressure switch (green plastic thingy) off the side of the old filter bracket.
  • Clean up the thread on the oil pressure switch and apply plumbers/gas tape to the thread.
  • Install the oil pressure switch into the new oil filter arm.
  • Install the new Spin-On filter arm with the new gasket supplied utilising the same 4 bolts again. Be careful not over tighten the bolts as they are going into the aluminium block which is a soft metal.
  • Plug the electrical socket back into the oil pressure switch
  • Apply some fresh oil to the rubber seal of the new oil filter and spin it on. Tighten it by hand only (Generally as tight as you can by hand)
  • Pour in some fresh oil until at the right level on the oil dip stick.
  • Replace oil filler cap and check for leaks
  • If no leaks, start the engine and let it run for a few minutes while continually checking for leaks as the oil warms up and thins out.
  • Replace engine wind tray
  • Take it for a spin and enjoy!

The finished product:
Attached File  2113005_198_full.jpg   75.16K   43 downloads

If you ever want to install an Oil Cooler on your 2.3L, this mod is a must!
Mic & Cathy | sp_bling@ozmazda.com
My Garages: Mazda 3 SP25 - 2012 Aluminium Hatch | Mazda 3 SP23 - 2005 Sunlight Silver Hatch | Mazda 323 Astina BA - 1997 White Hatch

Posted Image

#2 SANZY

SANZY

Spammed and repeated.

• Platinum Member
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:51 AM

Very nice Mic,

Going to be one of the first mod's I do when out of warranty. until then I will still have to put up with cartridge style oil filter goodness.

Posted Image

"The difference between involvement and commitment is like an eggs and ham breakfast.
The chicken was involved. The pig was committed"
-Unknown

#3 SP BLING

SP BLING

I have shares in Brasso!

• Admin
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:54 AM

Very nice Mic,

Going to be one of the first mod's I do when out of warranty. until then I will still have to put up with cartridge style oil filter goodness.

I've heard of people in the US getting Mazda to fit this during servicing. As Mazda do the work and the parts are genuine, warranty is not voided. :thumbsup:
My Garages: Mazda 3 SP25 - 2012 Aluminium Hatch | Mazda 3 SP23 - 2005 Sunlight Silver Hatch | Mazda 323 Astina BA - 1997 White Hatch

Posted Image

#4 SANZY

SANZY

Spammed and repeated.

• Platinum Member
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:47 AM

Yeah but I don't get Mazda to service mine.

If they did I think a whole lot of other parts of the warranty would be voided if they saw whats happened to my little thing.

Posted Image

"The difference between involvement and commitment is like an eggs and ham breakfast.
The chicken was involved. The pig was committed"
-Unknown

#5 m0nkeib0i888

m0nkeib0i888

280 kph

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:21 AM

Yeah but I don't get Mazda to service mine.

If they did I think a whole lot of other parts of the warranty would be voided if they saw whats happened to my little thing.

lol sanzy....anywayz gj on post mic=D
Rx-8 mods: Greddy turbo kit, HKS bov, Chip Torque Exedy EMU, Exedy manual boost controller, 720cc primary 2 fuel injectors, Yukon D585 ignition coils, MSD 8.5mm custom ignition leads, Walboro 255L fuel pump, Racing Beat catback 3" exhaust, custom K&N typhoon intake filter, custom catch can, 12" kicker subwoofer, autobahn mono amplifier, 8000k HID headlight, white Parker lights, white LED foglights, Autoexe carbon fibre gear knob

Suzuki VL250 intruder

#6 SP BLING

SP BLING

I have shares in Brasso!

• Admin
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:53 AM

Just a little update on this.....

I've been running the DRIFT brand of oil filters now for the last 15,000km (2 oil changes now done). I've noticed since using these filters that the magnetic tip of my oil drain plug has been much cleaner than previously experienced when changing the oil. I would have to guess that this is a good thing :thumbsup: Unlike normal filters, the DRIFT filters feature an internal magnet to trap the metal particles. These are very similar to the K&N oil filters.

Attached File  drift_oil_filter.jpg   14.24K   20 downloads

But if you go looking for the compatible oil filter to suit the Mazda 3 2.0L engine - Z632, you'll find that DRIFT don't make one :verymad: But there is a compatible one that'll fit without any dramas. As noted above I've been running one successfully without any problems now for 6+ months. The thread size and pitch is the same, the rubber o' ring is the same diameter, it's just that the filter is slightly bigger in length. To me, this is a good thing as it offers more filtration media that the oil has to pass through.

DRIFT Performance Magnetic Oil Filter Z418
Drift Part Number: D1-MF418

Specs from DRIFT website:
- Heavy duty construction
- Weld on nut
- Pressure relief valve
- Double pleated filtration
- Anti drain back valve
- Internal magnet
- Compatible with both mineral and synthetic motor oil

The added benefit on these filters is that they have a nut welded onto the bottom of the filter. This allows you to tighten and remove the filter with ease using just a spanner :thumbsup: This I love!

If you are after one, they are only sold by Autobarn ~ $20. I little dearer than most Ryco filters etc, but you get what you pay for......

Posted Image

#7 Breno

Breno

My car is blue

• 10,353 posts
  • Interests:doing stuff with stuff

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:59 AM

might give teh drift filter a go on the next service
When i get sad, I stop being sad and be Awesome instead. - True story
Brendan - breno@ozmazda.com
Winton - 1:55.31 (Natsoft) NEW PB!!!
Wakefield - 1:21.4 (Natsoft)

#8 200sxr

200sxr

Power Band in 2nd Gear

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:27 AM

Mazda had finally came to their senses and re-introduced the spin on filter in the SP25!

#9 KRNAGE

KRNAGE

Redline in 3rd Gear

• PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:17 AM

just want to say thanks for this guide, ill be installing my spin on kit soon and now i dont need to find out what other filters fit!
Also adding the Prosport adapter kit so I can run my oil temp guage

thanks SP Bling

#10 SP BLING

SP BLING

I have shares in Brasso!

• Admin
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:39 PM

Just to add to this - K&N also have a nice magnetic oil filter out as well that fits. I've been running the K&N filter for approx 20,000km now.

Posted Image

#11 KRNAGE

KRNAGE

Redline in 3rd Gear

• PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:10 AM

thanks for the added filter info, would you have a part no.s

edit: MPS3 added info.
for those that are looking at this guide for the MPS3,

- leave the 4 10mm bolts that are attached to the block on, feel around the top of the filter housing and you'll find a 15mm nut.
- undo 15mm nut till fingers can undo or completely remove, then continue to remove the 4x 10mm's

Edited by KRNAGE, 07 March 2010 - 03:00 PM.

#12 BIGDOG

BIGDOG

Unlucky

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:32 PM

Posted Image Just completed this Modification.
What a difference it will make in the future when servicing at home.
The under tray was harder to get off than the mod itself
Cant Figure out how to post pics but the filter on mine seems to lay back a bit
compared to the pics in Blings wright up

Terry

#13 KermitDeWog

KermitDeWog

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:47 PM

Hey guys.

Today i rang up Mazda and was told they dont have a record of the part numbers listed (L302-14-311 (Spin-on filter arm), LF01-14-342 (gasket)

I also done a search on the ryco web site and the filter Z632 leads towards a Mazda MX-5 filter.

Can some one point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
Simon...

#14 SP BLING

SP BLING

I have shares in Brasso!

• Admin
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:26 AM

All parts are off a Mazda 3 with the 2 litre engine. Just get the service guy to look up the 2.0L engine parts - which is the same duratec engine found in late model MX-5s :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#15 ttshark

ttshark

80 kph

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:43 AM

If anyone is interested, these are the part number I got off the 2.5L mazda 3.

Housing: LFG1-14-311
Gasket: LF02-14-342

I will probably be doing this as I noticed a significant drop in my oil level last oil change =\

Edit: also note that the Toyota oil filter 90915-YZZD2 can be used and they are VERY cheap to buy =)

Edited by ttshark, 28 January 2011 - 07:57 AM.

GG-Tec!

Coup De Grace

#16 no77ip

no77ip

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:17 AM

Nicely diagrammed. Where did you buy the new housing (arm)?

#17 SP BLING

SP BLING

I have shares in Brasso!

• Admin
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:15 AM

Nicely diagrammed. Where did you buy the new housing (arm)?

I picked mine up originally from a Mazda Dealer out of the US. At the time they had it bundled as an upgrade :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#18 megabyte

megabyte

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:41 AM

Hey guys, sorry to resurrect a dead thread,

I currently have my wind tray off while I wait on some replacement bolts (the 3 below the ratiator all snapped while undoing the tray).

I'd like to order the filter arm and gasket to do this mod along with the bolts but I'm having the same troubles as KermitDeWog which is that our Mazda parts center has no reference to an L302-14-311 as mentioned by the OP. They were able to find an lfg1-14-311 (like in ttshark has on his SP25) and a l311-14-311 which they say is used in some UK models. I mentioned that it's off the 2.0L engine but that didn't seem to help narrow it down.

I looked into ordering it from the US like the OP did, but I expect to have the wind tray on before it would arrive, also their postage is $80!

Just wondering if anyone can say what the Australian part number is from the 2.0L engine? It's over $100 so I don't want to order the wrong part.

#19 wolfmanoz

wolfmanoz

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

OK, just got the parts from Penfold Mazda here in Melbourne (in stock and delivered). Their parts system requires a VIN number so I used the wife's 2 litre BK Maxx Sports VIN (JM0BK10F200460850 )

and no questions asked (I did try earlier and the guy argued that it won't fit, using my SP23 info).Part numbers off invoice are MZ-LFG1-14-311 Body Oil Filter and MZ-LF02-14-342 Gasket Filter Mount.

Total cost including $9 freight was $106.80

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users