Whining noise in BT 50 when towing.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 2 dads

2 dads

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:25 PM

Greetings, new member, hoping I can get some assistance in relation to an intermittent whining noise

when towing in my 2012 BT50.

Generally only occurs when I have been towing for some time and proceed to slow down entering a town or pulling up, whining noise comes in about 2nd and 3rd gears and then disappears.    However I have had the noise present until almost stopped.   

Have also noticed that the noise is still present when neutral engaged and can disappear if the engine is revved.

It is only intermittent but very concerning considering this is my 3rd Auto.    It has done app. 40,000, vehicle has traveled 70,000.   

Fan is a clutch fan.    Noise is not evident unless towing and usually when weather is fine or I have travelled some distance.

Tow a Jayco journey outback, and camper trailer and have experienced this noise towing both.

Hope someone may be able to assist.

2 dads 

• Samueliks likes this

#2 Steve18

Steve18

Third Gear

• PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

Hi 2 dads

I tow with mine also, and just wonder if your noise is similar to mine. It tends to be a fairly high pitched whine that will go away when you slow down after a long drive with the caravan on the back. If so, I was told that it is likely to be the fuel pump that tends to get warm when doing a bit of hard work and nothing to worry about. My BT is manual, and it doesn't seem to matter what gear I am in, but tend to notice it more when I slow down after being at close to highway speeds. I tend also to notice it more during warmer weather, although it would depends on the work that the BT is doing at the time.

They suggested to keep the fuel level at least half-way as apparently there is stuff in the works that the fuel keeps cool, and if you run the tank too low it can prevent stuff from staying cool.

That's my take on it anyway and so far, so good!

Steve

#3 Gof

Gof

Zoom Zoom Zoom

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:18 PM

If it seems to be coming from the left rear and the fuel level is pretty low it may be the lift pump in the tank. Hot fuel is returned to the tank and if it gets too hot the little centrifugal pump can get a bit of a squeal to it.
If it seems to be coming from under the bonet it may be the viscous drive fan working hard when the motor gets hot.
The other alternative (if it is a manual) is the clutch throw out bearing rubbing on the throw out fingers.

#4 norriss47

norriss47

Second Gear

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:51 AM

Hi 2 dads,

I too have experienced this noise and confirm it is probably something to do with excess fuel returning to the tank.  I noticed one day on a new cab chassis unit that there is a small heat exchanger on the tank which probably is the culprit. 

Cheers

John

Edited by norriss47, 13 October 2017 - 06:52 AM.

#5 2 dads

2 dads

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:50 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies, never thought of the fuel angle, I  installed a Brown Davis  140 lt fuel tank not long after I bought it, but have only noticed this noise since the 3rd Box was installed, but having said that I really only started towing the larger van in the last couple of years.

Will keep an eye on  the fuel level, the noise to me as best I can make out is coming straight out of the transmission tunnel. 

It is only evident in the same circumstances as third gear has outlined.

2dads

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users