insurance for the truck

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 poppa smurf

poppa smurf

Donut King

• PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:metal fabrication, timber fabrication, travelling by c/van, yakking (my favourite pastime) helping folks

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:04 AM

been doing some "upgrades" on the truck of late as well as a bit of desert touring,  I just got back so I thought I had better notify the insurance company (CGU) and let them know of the accessories and upgrades  that had been added since the policy was instigated.

totalled up the amount ( quickly hid the sum from "she who would be the possessor of all things shiny") and diligently rang the insurance mob

came as a surprise to me that I had exceeded the overall amount that I could insure the vehicle for, the total of the accessories (percentage wise)  tipped the balance and CGU were not willing to insure me...not even for "an agreed amount".

I had to find another insurer, in my case Shannon's were the only ones reasonable enough, price wise, who would insure to a reasonable agreed figure.........spoke to a few other blokes who said they didn't even bother telling the insurance companies of the upgrades in which case they would be underinsured which CGU told me would give reason to deny the claim 

what has been you experience in this case, simply not tell of updates, blindly unaware or simply under insure?

• Samueliks likes this

everyone calls me Poppa or simply Pops, have done for a long time now....call me what you want, chances are I won't hear you anyway..don't fret the small stuff......

2016 BT50 Hi-rider dual cab in aluminium, ARB reversing camera, ARB ascent canopy, second full river 60 amp deep cycle, 40 ltr engel, redarc 1225 BC_DC charger, ARB 80 watt rooftop solar panel, Titan draws with wings, Mazda supplied polished alloy bullbar, lightforce spotlights, ARB long range fuel tank, ARB supplied and fitted Old man emu suspension upgrade with 2"lift, 70 litre water tank with on call pump........plus many extra "tow features"....we tend to creep along the roads less travelled" preferring deserts to blacktop and wildlife to crowds....self employed partially retired not looking to go full retired as yet........love "fiddling with off road stuff"

#2 eddii

eddii

80 kph

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning and Fishing :)

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:21 AM

I always tell them because at the end of the day what's the point in paying hundreds or thousands of dollars on insurance if there's a slight change of the insurance company rejecting your claim. I won't be able sleep well  :sad:

You should try 4x4 insurance (Pat Callinan's). They should be able to give you a quote. They're designed to Fourby enthusiasts like us :happy:

Mind you the more you put it (accessory wise) the bigger the premium. 

Also be mindful of road legalities as well, they might reject your claim in an accident if they blame it on your oversize tyres blah blah or fully loaded rig which could potentially be over your GVM.

Sorry to dampen your spirit, I'm a worry wart by nature  :banghead:

Cheers

Eddii

Edited by eddii, 10 October 2017 - 11:26 AM.

• poppa smurf likes this

2012 XTR Black; Mods: Mazda Bullbar, Towbar, Ironman 4x4 Canopy, Lightforce LED215, LEDBar, Colour Coded Factory Alloys, 12"Sub Under rear seat, Dual Battery, Clearview Towing mirrors, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.

#3 thewayes

thewayes

80 kph

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

I'm with club 4x4 and the 2015GT BT is covered for $66,000 at $768 with $1500 recovery and it was over a grand from Suncorp to cover $57,000 max

Geoff
  • poppa smurf likes this

#4 eddii

eddii

80 kph

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning and Fishing :)

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

WOW that's an awesome deal!!!!!!!! Especially for that car value  :ohmy:  Nice :thumbsup:

2012 XTR Black; Mods: Mazda Bullbar, Towbar, Ironman 4x4 Canopy, Lightforce LED215, LEDBar, Colour Coded Factory Alloys, 12"Sub Under rear seat, Dual Battery, Clearview Towing mirrors, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.

#5 poppa smurf

poppa smurf

Donut King

• PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:metal fabrication, timber fabrication, travelling by c/van, yakking (my favourite pastime) helping folks

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:17 PM

okay, thanks folks, I shall be looking at club 4x4........thats around the figure I was looking at but with a much lower premium, Shannon's are a good mob to talk to but are a wee bit dear

I just thought I would "put it out there" as a possible trap for the young players

everyone calls me Poppa or simply Pops, have done for a long time now....call me what you want, chances are I won't hear you anyway..don't fret the small stuff......

2016 BT50 Hi-rider dual cab in aluminium, ARB reversing camera, ARB ascent canopy, second full river 60 amp deep cycle, 40 ltr engel, redarc 1225 BC_DC charger, ARB 80 watt rooftop solar panel, Titan draws with wings, Mazda supplied polished alloy bullbar, lightforce spotlights, ARB long range fuel tank, ARB supplied and fitted Old man emu suspension upgrade with 2"lift, 70 litre water tank with on call pump........plus many extra "tow features"....we tend to creep along the roads less travelled" preferring deserts to blacktop and wildlife to crowds....self employed partially retired not looking to go full retired as yet........love "fiddling with off road stuff"

#6 Lakevic3795

Lakevic3795

Two Ducks Swimming

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:59 AM

Club 4x4 and you are also covered for all those little trips "off road" to beaches, non gazetted tracks to campsites etc, looking for freecamps in weird places. Plus look into a driver trg course for 10% off 4wd insurance and, when combined with caravan 'off road' insurance another 10% when you complete a TowEd course. Plus the add ons for when you do the really remote outback thing you can upgrade the recovery insurance to megabucks for the $20,000+ tow back to civilisation if you break it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users