• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 maccullagh

maccullagh

80 kph

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:50 PM

I had a quick look but could not find a thread on engine oils.

I have a 2013 XTR 3.2 BT 50.

What engine oils are you using?

My dealer uses Castrol 10/40 full synthetic of some description.
  • Samueliks likes this

#2 Bizze1

Bizze1

Zoom Zoom Zoom

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:26 PM

2016 model my dealer uses Valvoline full synthetic.

Merv

#3 Lakevic3795

Lakevic3795

Two Ducks Swimming

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

Oil should be A5/B5 oil. Some dealers are using the alternative less spec oil A3/B4 which will make the engine noisier especially when under high stress towing. When I switched to A5/B5 quite early in engines life became noticeably quieter.

#4 maccullagh

maccullagh

80 kph

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:01 PM

I researched this today and found that just about all full synthetic oils of 10/40 are not A5/B5 compliant.

I settled on Penrite 10/30 full synthetic and took advantage of Supercheap 35% off full synthetic discount on at the moment.

Be interested if my engine becomes quieter as I think it is a bit noisy. Dealership uses 10/40 Castrol which I think might not be A5/B5.

This will be my first oil change on the BT so I went to Mazda and bought a filter and a sump plug washer.

It took 3 tanks of oxygen to revive me after I got the bill.

$40 something for a bit of paper to put in the filter but $16 for a rubber sump plug washer....

In the wrong game.

#5 eddii

eddii

80 kph

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning and Fishing :)

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:30 AM

I've been using Valvoline Synpower FE Fully Synthetic, like yourself I buy them when supercheap have it on specials :happy:  Normally oil filters are on specials at that time as well.

2012 XTR Black; Mods: Mazda Bullbar, Towbar, Ironman 4x4 Canopy, Lightforce LED215, LEDBar, Colour Coded Factory Alloys, 12"Sub Under rear seat, Dual Battery, Clearview Towing mirrors, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.

#6 maccullagh

maccullagh

80 kph

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:36 PM

Did my oil change and the 5/30 full synthetic A5/B5 Penrite certainly makes the engine less noisy.

What idiot came up with the filter design though?

Kept the whole procedure under 10 minutes and did not suffer the loss of pressure that a lot have experienced.

Did find an extra O ring in filter housing that the professionals had missed. Make sure that you remove it if you do your own.

#7 Lakevic3795

Lakevic3795

Two Ducks Swimming

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:11 PM

Many Full Synthetic oils are NOT A5/B5 standard. I got stuck into Supacheap Auto for specifying A3/B3 for our 3.2L BT50's. They do at least now carry the higher standard A5/B5 oils in a couple of brands. Try Nulon 5W-30 A5/B5.

#8 maccullagh

maccullagh

80 kph

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:19 PM

Just another point if you change your own filter.

Any oil that is dropped when removing the filter will be caught in the chassis members under the filter.

Although I applied degreaser and pressured washed the area, I spent 3 days chasing a non existent oil leak as the old oil gradually comes out.

Next time I will pack the area with a lot of rags before removing the filter.

This also happened to my mate on a Ranger when he had a mechanic do the filter change. Caused a lot of running around getting sorted before the reason was discovered. Not a great look when you get home to find oil dropping onto the garage floor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users