Rear Main Seal Leaking Oil 3.2lt BT 50

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 midco

midco

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:32 PM

I have just had my 2014 XTR Dual cab 70,000km service carried out and was informed that the rear main seal needs to be replaced due to an oil leak. I was also told that if the replacement seal doesn't stop the leak the engine will need to be replaced. As fortune would have it I have two months of warranty left. Has anybody had the same problem? I have read on a few blogs that some BT50 owners have had seals replaced but not whole engines.

• Samueliks likes this

#2 gaiabloke

gaiabloke

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Shed-Time, Camping, Dogs, Kayaking, Touring, Computers, Permaculture, Gardening.

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:27 AM

I have a 2016 BT50 3.2ltr, at the 20k service I reported the engine to be leaking oil onto the floor of my garage. Mazda reported post service the Rear Main Seal needs replacing. The seal has just been replaced and I will be keeping a close eye on it. Anyone else here that has had this issue?

#3 Bizze1

Bizze1

Zoom Zoom Zoom

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:32 PM

BILs 2014 Ford Ranger had to have leaking rear seal replaced under warranty as well .... same beast. Sounds like a common problem that hopefully manifests whilst under warranty. Guess it is a cheaper option for Ford and Mazda to just repair the few that leak whilst still in the warranty period rather than do a recall. After that owners expense :woot:

Merv

#4 thewayes

thewayes

80 kph

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:43 AM

The only reason they are saying if the new seal wont stop the leak is because the shaft may have some wear on it due to the seal but to replace the whole motor is a load of crap they just have know idea at all. A speedy seal would fix that up in know time and they should know this and on mine when they changed it they found not enough sealant around the housing was put on if you can believe them.

Geoff

#5 midco

midco

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments. It does sound silly to replace an engine because of a leaking seal but the service manager also stated that they had done several engine changes because of it. Maybe there is something Mazda are not telling us about these motors. There may be more to it than a leaking seal.

#6 thewayes

thewayes

80 kph

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:28 PM

More then likely its because of the warranty, putting a speedy sleeve on a motor is a good fix and very cost affective but one could argue that because its under warranty this type of fix is unacceptable so this is why maybe they replace the motor. But for a vehicles crank shaft to have worn groves in the shaft at even 100k's is unlikely not enough to worry a new seal anyway.

Geoff

#7 poppa smurf

poppa smurf

Donut King

• PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:metal fabrication, timber fabrication, travelling by c/van, yakking (my favourite pastime) helping folks

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:19 PM

bugger damn blast!!!.....after reading this I just clambered under my truck and Yep!........ oil, presumably, from the main seal (26,000 km's) she goes in Tues.

everyone calls me Poppa or simply Pops, have done for a long time now....call me what you want, chances are I won't hear you anyway..don't fret the small stuff......

2016 BT50 Hi-rider dual cab in aluminium, ARB reversing camera, ARB ascent canopy, second full river 60 amp deep cycle, 40 ltr engel, redarc 1225 BC_DC charger, ARB 80 watt rooftop solar panel, Titan draws with wings, Mazda supplied polished alloy bullbar, lightforce spotlights, ARB long range fuel tank, ARB supplied and fitted Old man emu suspension upgrade with 2"lift, 70 litre water tank with on call pump........plus many extra "tow features"....we tend to creep along the roads less travelled" preferring deserts to blacktop and wildlife to crowds....self employed partially retired not looking to go full retired as yet........love "fiddling with off road stuff"

#8 midco

midco

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:23 PM

My BT go's in for a new oil seal tomorrow. See how long it lasts. Its starting to sound like a problem for these 3.2 lt motors.

#9 midco

midco

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:14 PM

Picked up the BT from Mazda this afternoon after oil seal was replaced, talking to service guy Mazda have known about this problem for some time and only fixing when noticed. The bit about motor replacement is if the seal is to badly  leaking and the patch will not cure. He stated that it was more cost effective to replace the motor than to strip down the engine insitu. Mazda must be making to much money!

#10 poppa smurf

poppa smurf

Donut King

• PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:metal fabrication, timber fabrication, travelling by c/van, yakking (my favourite pastime) helping folks

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:39 AM

good news, my engine is very economical, heard reports that some are not, ECU settings????........hopefully mine will be seal replacement as well

everyone calls me Poppa or simply Pops, have done for a long time now....call me what you want, chances are I won't hear you anyway..don't fret the small stuff......

2016 BT50 Hi-rider dual cab in aluminium, ARB reversing camera, ARB ascent canopy, second full river 60 amp deep cycle, 40 ltr engel, redarc 1225 BC_DC charger, ARB 80 watt rooftop solar panel, Titan draws with wings, Mazda supplied polished alloy bullbar, lightforce spotlights, ARB long range fuel tank, ARB supplied and fitted Old man emu suspension upgrade with 2"lift, 70 litre water tank with on call pump........plus many extra "tow features"....we tend to creep along the roads less travelled" preferring deserts to blacktop and wildlife to crowds....self employed partially retired not looking to go full retired as yet........love "fiddling with off road stuff"

#11 Paul R.

Paul R.

60 kph

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:35 PM

Hi Guys, I am after some advice. I have a 2014 BT50 and back in March this year (driven 16,000 kilometres) I had an oil leak fixed by the local Mazda dealer. The report from Mazda said the leak was due to, "insufficient seal causing oil to bypass". Apparently, they replaced the crankshaft oil seal and the job was done under warranty. I found the leak after seeing a few drops of oil on the garage floor.

A couple of weeks ago, after a trip over a lot of gravel roads, I had a local mechanic give the car a quick check and he found that the rear main oil seal had started to leak (26,000 kilometres on the clock).

I took it back to the same Mazda deal and they told me they could see the oil, but could not find a leak. They cleaned the oil up and asked me to keep an eye on it. When I asked how it could be there if there is no leak, they tried to tell me it could have been a result of oil being spilt at the last service. I was not impressed but as I do not know a lot about motors, I agreed. When I got the car home, I checked and I could see there was fresh oil again. 

I would like to hear from any other BT owners who have had problems with getting Mazda to fix an oil leak under warranty. I am sure they are hoping they can put me off until the car is out of warranty, next March.   

#12 midco

midco

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:03 PM

Paul,

Take it back to the Mazda dealer and ask that it be repaired under warranty. If they give you a hard time just mention a report to the ACCC will be lodged also to the Ministry of fair trading "aka" lemon laws. If the car is under warranty they have to repair or replace. If they still refuse to deal with it try another Mazda dealer and see there response. Good Luck.

#13 poppa smurf

poppa smurf

Donut King

• PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

take it straight back paul and tell them that you had an independent mechanical assessor look at the car and it is shown to be the seal..........possibly an RAA (or interstate equivelent) report MAY add more weight.

had mine looked at today, back order on the seal with a two week waiting list so It will have to be done along with the service after I come back from our next foray into our magical land (heading out all of November returning December)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users