Bullbars

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 59bb

59bb

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:11 PM

would like to hear what everyones thoughts are on bullbars. I am getting a  Mazda BT50 17/18 model, what your thoughts on Mazda Bullbars Vs ARB Bullbars,  pros and cons.  Thanks in advance. 59bb

• Samueliks likes this

#2 thewayes

thewayes

80 kph

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:12 PM

Cant help you as I haven't had both on but I don't like the look of the Mazda bull bar so I have the ARB steel but if I had a chance over again I'd install a powder coated Aluminium bull bar suitable for a winch from ECB but others may do them also. I don't know the difference in weight but it all adds up if your towing. I don't have any complaints with the ARB bull bar
Geoff

#3 combo42

combo42

60 kph

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:20 PM

The "Mazda" bull bar I had installed is a TJM with winch option. All done in black on my white 2016 GT BT50.

For me it was about having a Mazda approved purchase and installation so I don't get the story, that the after market installer did something wrong!

#4 59bb

59bb

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for your feedback, I was told that MAZDA don't do a winch option Bullbar

Edited by 59bb, 28 September 2017 - 02:17 PM.

#5 whittsatwoopi

whittsatwoopi

Third Gear

• PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:41 PM

Sorry, disregard.

Edited by whittsatwoopi, 28 September 2017 - 04:44 PM.

#6 Wartim

Wartim

Second Gear

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:06 PM

I have the 2013 BT 50 with STD Mazda bar.

I see its been updated however you still cant fit a winch.  the big thing for me is the TJM comes standard with built in recovery points and looks to be a much more robust bar.  The local Toowoomba TJM has a cutaway of their bar and you can see why they are so expensive.

If you want built in recovery points that look OK go for the TJM

#7 thewayes

thewayes

80 kph

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:08 AM

Yes I must say I was a little disappointed that ARB doesn't have recovery points and I had to make them myself must be so they can sell you them later

#8 Phillthy

Phillthy

Zoom Zoom Zoom

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:27 PM

The "Mazda" bull bar I had installed is a TJM with winch option. All done in black on my white 2016 GT BT50.

For me it was about having a Mazda approved purchase and installation so I don't get the story, that the after market installer did something wrong!

How much did mazda charge to fit a TJM bar, I will be sitting down if you reply.

TJM quoted about $2,900 so near enough to the ARB prices. I just can't see the 3 grand in it although it could be near a half day job.

Mine is a white 16 GT upgraded model and no major issues, touch wood so may try for a show special if they are willing to give a realistic price.

#9 Phillthy

Phillthy

Zoom Zoom Zoom

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:32 PM

Yes I must say I was a little disappointed that ARB doesn't have recovery points and I had to make them myself must be so they can sell you them later

ARB would be way too greedy for that. They want the extra hundreds for theirs, prob near a grand he he.

#10 Lakevic3795

Lakevic3795

Two Ducks Swimming

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:27 PM

Many ute owners are overloading so go for an alloy bar, save a few kg's everywhere you can to stay under GVM.

#11 Bizze1

Bizze1

Zoom Zoom Zoom

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:43 AM

I have the TJM Deluxe aluminium B.B. with winch, weight was a consideration, done it myself after being quoted close to $3,000 to have local TJM supply and install. At the time found a brand new one on clearance sale for $1300.00, not sure now who it was, may have been 3XM??? Took me nearly a day to do but then again had absolutely no experience with this. Just followed the instructions step by step with the most nerve racking part being cutting the plastic bumper on my brand new vehicle. The money I saved purchased my Ridge Rider 12,000 lb winch and still had a bit of change left over.

Merv

#12 Gepa52

Gepa52

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:25 AM

My 2016 BT50 already fitted with aluminium nudge bar & bash plates. It is used mainly for towing rather than off road. But as others have noted, bar . prevents access to recovery points. So make sure that's not an issue.

#13 59bb

59bb

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

Thanks Guys for all the feed back, now have a few things to consider before I decide which way to go.   Great knowledge and suggestions, great forum.  Again thanks. Greg

#14 Supersi

Supersi

Power Band in 2nd Gear

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:35 PM

Have you considered a Smartbar? Big weight saving.

#15 combo42

combo42

60 kph

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:08 PM

How much did mazda charge to fit a TJM bar, I will be sitting down if you reply.

TJM quoted about $2,900 so near enough to the ARB prices. I just can't see the 3 grand in it although it could be near a half day job.

Mine is a white 16 GT upgraded model and no major issues, touch wood so may try for a show special if they are willing to give a realistic price.

Hi,

My invoice does not call out the individual price of the accessories as they structured a single proce for all accessories.

I will dig around to see if Ikept original information in a folder at home.

$2900 sounds like about the price!

#16 Bearly

Bearly

60 kph

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:09 PM

Be careful what you choose, because a steel bullbar and winch can be enough overload the front axles.  I chose the TJM alloy that has winch availability

#17 poppa smurf

poppa smurf

Donut King

• PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:metal fabrication, timber fabrication, travelling by c/van, yakking (my favourite pastime) helping folks

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:19 PM

polished alloy for me (non winch), supplied and fitted by Mazda,... bling, bling,........but had to go back twice as she came loose and dropped on the shotgun side........

everyone calls me Poppa or simply Pops, have done for a long time now....call me what you want, chances are I won't hear you anyway..don't fret the small stuff......

2016 BT50 Hi-rider dual cab in aluminium, ARB reversing camera, ARB ascent canopy, second full river 60 amp deep cycle, 40 ltr engel, redarc 1225 BC_DC charger, ARB 80 watt rooftop solar panel, Titan draws with wings, Mazda supplied polished alloy bullbar, lightforce spotlights, ARB long range fuel tank, ARB supplied and fitted Old man emu suspension upgrade with 2"lift, 70 litre water tank with on call pump........plus many extra "tow features"....we tend to creep along the roads less travelled" preferring deserts to blacktop and wildlife to crowds....self employed partially retired not looking to go full retired as yet........love "fiddling with off road stuff"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users