• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Dasher

Dasher

Legs 11

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:16 AM

Previously had a new 2012 BT Hi Rider ute with canopy 2wd, and had absolutely no problems over 5 years with it with great fuel economy usually around 9.8 klm per litr in city and up to 12 on a long steady run on cruise and a bit less when towing, was very happy from day one.

Decided to upgrade to a current model in June 2017 with exactly the same configuration as previously owned and have been disappointed to say the least so far.

The first thing i noticed was the trip computer when i initially filedl it to the brim the first time as i always do, it showed a range of 775 k's out of a tank where as i always got a reading of at least 900+ from old model.

This got me thinking that it probably needed to get an average on mileage first to get an accurate figure but several tanks later it hasn't.

Secondly, where as i got figures around 9.8 k's per lt from day one with my older BT with up to 12k's per lt on a run, with the new model the best i have got around town is 8.3 and the best on a run of 700k's has been 9.33.

I rang the dealer to ask if anything had been changed on newer model to cause this negative mileage and was told that to their knowledge all was the same and yet i am informed that they now have a DPF filter, seem strange that a dealership didnt know that?

Will a DPF filter effect the consumption so badly?

Can somebody explain to me why or what has changed to alter the mileage so negatively, i don't drive it like a sports car and i don't go climbing mountains with it?

The car has now done 5000 k's so has had time to get a good average but nothing has changed, absolutely disappointed.

Edited by Dasher, 10 August 2017 - 05:22 PM.

• GeorgeHarpully and Samueliks like this

#2 eddii

eddii

80 kph

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning and Fishing :)

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

Hey Dasher,

I don't use the computer consumption indication.

I do it the old fashion way, fill it up then record exact klms done and work it out from there :yes:

It's the only way to accurately measure your fuel economy. :happy:  

2012 XTR Black; Mods: Mazda Bullbar, Towbar, Ironman 4x4 Canopy, Lightforce LED215, LEDBar, Colour Coded Factory Alloys, 12"Sub Under rear seat, Dual Battery, Clearview Towing mirrors, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.

#3 gaiabloke

gaiabloke

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Shed-Time, Camping, Dogs, Kayaking, Touring, Computers, Permaculture, Gardening.

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:29 AM

"Will a DPF filter effect the consumption so badly?" ... I'm not real sure if a DPF will cause a big increase in fuel consumption. It has to be responsable for some increase given it uses diesel fuel to 'burn' the carbon out of the filter media, in a cleaning cycle. Apart from wiring for temp and pressure probes it also has diesel fuel lines plumbed up to it I notice. The DPF does use fuel, not sure of the amount though.

Edited by gaiabloke, 10 August 2017 - 11:37 AM.

#4 Dasher

Dasher

Legs 11

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

Hey Dasher,
I don't use the computer consumption indication.
I do it the old fashion way, fill it up then record exact klms done and work it out from there :yes:
It's the only way to accurately measure your fuel economy. :happy:

I only use the computer as an indicator, I do the calculations exactly as you described above.

Actually have just filled up and the computer is saying I will do only 705 this time, it's getting bloody worse.

My fill this time was 44.51 litres with 350 k's done which equates to 7.86 k's per litre or 12.72 litres per 100 k's
Where I used to get 9.86 k per lit or 10.14 lt per 100k, this is bullshit.

#5 eddii

eddii

80 kph

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning and Fishing :)

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:26 PM

Hmmm that is really concerning Dasher. You need to get Mazda involved on this.

I get that consumption towing a caravan!

Please let us know how you go.

2012 XTR Black; Mods: Mazda Bullbar, Towbar, Ironman 4x4 Canopy, Lightforce LED215, LEDBar, Colour Coded Factory Alloys, 12"Sub Under rear seat, Dual Battery, Clearview Towing mirrors, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.

#6 Dasher

Dasher

Legs 11

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

Hmmm that is really concerning Dasher. You need to get Mazda involved on this.
I get that consumption towing a caravan!
Please let us know how you go.

Have been on phone to Mazda Australia today and they say the advertised figures between the two models are slightly different to the tune of about 1.5 k's per litre which would equate over a tank full to about 300 k's which is about what I'm missing.

Got me tossed and they don't know either.

#7 poppa smurf

poppa smurf

Donut King

• PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:metal fabrication, timber fabrication, travelling by c/van, yakking (my favourite pastime) helping folks

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:57 PM

12.72 per 100.......I get better than that pulling my 2 tonne van

I have on board the ARB ascent canopy, titan draw system with full wings and loaded with "stuff", extra full river battery, Engel 40 ltr fridge, redarc BCDC 1225 charger, solar panel up top, all up weighing in at around the 2.7 tonne mark with a gut full of fuel and i still pull in the high sixes to low sevens running at 105 KPH with 3 big folks on board my DTE after fill consistently shows about the 980 to 1000 Km's to empty and i have absolutely every faith that it would achieve this under reasonable conditions

something is definitely amiss with your vehicle, i would have a chat with your dealership

everyone calls me Poppa or simply Pops, have done for a long time now....call me what you want, chances are I won't hear you anyway..don't fret the small stuff......

2016 BT50 Hi-rider dual cab in aluminium, ARB reversing camera, ARB ascent canopy, second full river 60 amp deep cycle, 40 ltr engel, redarc 1225 BC_DC charger, ARB 80 watt rooftop solar panel, Titan draws with wings, Mazda supplied polished alloy bullbar, lightforce spotlights, ARB long range fuel tank, ARB supplied and fitted Old man emu suspension upgrade with 2"lift, 70 litre water tank with on call pump........plus many extra "tow features"....we tend to creep along the roads less travelled" preferring deserts to blacktop and wildlife to crowds....self employed partially retired not looking to go full retired as yet........love "fiddling with off road stuff"

#8 Dasher

Dasher

Legs 11

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

I have on board the ARB ascent canopy, titan draw system with full wings and loaded with "stuff", extra full river battery, Engel 40 ltr fridge, redarc BCDC 1225 charger, solar panel up top, all up weighing in at around the 2.7 tonne mark with a gut full of fuel and i still pull in the high sixes to low sevens running at 105 KPH with 3 big folks on board my DTE after fill consistently shows about the 980 to 1000 Km's to empty and i have absolutely every faith that it would achieve this under reasonable conditions

something is definitely amiss with your vehicle, i would have a chat with your dealership

I agree Poppa thats about what i used to get. Is yours a 2017 model with or without any mods or just stock standard?

Edited by Dasher, 10 August 2017 - 05:09 PM.

#9 bigjon

bigjon

Second Gear

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

Hi Dasher mine is a late 2016 xtracab 4x4 with a bullbar and alloy tray with 17000km on the clock i probably have a 150kg of tools on the back most of the time but i struggle to get under 11lph i rekn the dfp does add to the usage as i have noticed a few times now driving around town that i get bursts of white/blue smoke coming out the back on take off and gear changes which i assume is a dpf burn off so its definitely wasting fuel there.

#10 Eggy

Eggy

100 kph

• PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

FWIW   My economy improved after doing an ecm reset.

#11 poppa smurf

poppa smurf

Donut King

• PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:metal fabrication, timber fabrication, travelling by c/van, yakking (my favourite pastime) helping folks

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:24 PM

I agree Poppa thats about what i used to get. Is yours a 2017 model with or without any mods or just stock standard?

2016 stock standard mate......looking to get a few mods done when the warranty expires

everyone calls me Poppa or simply Pops, have done for a long time now....call me what you want, chances are I won't hear you anyway..don't fret the small stuff......

2016 BT50 Hi-rider dual cab in aluminium, ARB reversing camera, ARB ascent canopy, second full river 60 amp deep cycle, 40 ltr engel, redarc 1225 BC_DC charger, ARB 80 watt rooftop solar panel, Titan draws with wings, Mazda supplied polished alloy bullbar, lightforce spotlights, ARB long range fuel tank, ARB supplied and fitted Old man emu suspension upgrade with 2"lift, 70 litre water tank with on call pump........plus many extra "tow features"....we tend to creep along the roads less travelled" preferring deserts to blacktop and wildlife to crowds....self employed partially retired not looking to go full retired as yet........love "fiddling with off road stuff"

#12 Dasher

Dasher

Legs 11

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

FWIW   My economy improved after doing an ecm reset.

Its interesting you say that eggy, what sort of economy were you getting prior to reset and then after how much did it improve.

Mazda did some computer update at my 1000k service, something to do with dpf filter but hard to tell if it made it worse or better cos it had only done 1000k.

But i do know that the economy since then has been getting higher & higher up to 12.72 per 100k now in normal city driving when with my old BT i would always get atleast 10.0 lt per 100k or better with the same sort of driving.

2.72 lts per 100k equates to roughly 217 k's less per tank which is about what the trip computer says im missing compared to the 2012 model i had, which then calculates to about $3.50 per 100kl more which then comes to around $25.00 more each time i fill my tank depending on the price on the day.   I call bullshit on this.

#13 Eggy

Eggy

100 kph

• PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:12 AM

I had an issue and the car wouldn't start. Called RACQ, the car wasn't responding to the security in the key. So he disconnected the battery let it sit for 3 mins, reconnected, sit 3 mins, turn on ignition ( not start ) , sit 3 mins, turn off ignition , start.

After this when I would fill up the distance to empty would read 900's whereas before it was 700's.

Car runs better and economy is better.

I feel it's like a computer reinstall, the software get cluttered, so reinstall and start afresh.

I also think (right or wrong) when mazda do the upgrade it doesn't fully clear the old software, doing the ecm reset does just leaving the new one.

Just an opinion.

Peter

#14 poppa smurf

poppa smurf

Donut King

• PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:11 AM

the reset option as described above by Peter is what I use to do on my old BA fairmont with success when she was misbehaving.......worth a shot in this instance as well i feel.......wont do any harm either way

#15 MickeyB

MickeyB

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:16 PM

My 2 month old BT50 Freestyle is indicating 7.8 L/Km and I have no reason to disbelieve this figure. Most of my driving consists of 25Km trips as well as some 140Km trips. To be honest I'm rather impressed with these figures and will be interested to see what fuel consumption I will obtain when I go to Canberra from the Sunshine Coast in a few weeks time.

Will post the figures on my return.

#16 Eggy

Eggy

100 kph

• PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:59 PM

Don't believe what that thing tells you.

Reset the trip meter after each fill up is the only accurate way.

#17 Dasher

Dasher

Legs 11

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

Just filled up again nothing has improved 495ks on 57.92 lt which equals11.7 lt per 100k after a computer reset by dealer.
Still nowhere near the 9.8 per 100k I used to get, not happy Jan.

#18 maccullagh

maccullagh

80 kph

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:05 PM

Lately I found that my 2013 XTR was a bit of a slug and seemed to be using more fuel than usual. 

Yesterday I did the reset mentioned by Eggy above and drove my normal run of late.

This run is a combination of urban and country driving with plenty of hills of about 70KLMs round trip.

It might all be in my head but I reckoned that it is more responsive than before.

Distance to empty is indicating 603 KLMs with 75 % tank to go which I consider good compared to what it has been indicating in recent times.

I found lifting the negative clamp the best way to disconnect the battery if you are interested.

Only minor problem I found was that the driver's window had to be reset to get the auto up - down to work.

Radio had the wrong time but it self corrected anyway (GPS). Did not loose my Bluetooth settings.

• Eggy likes this

#19 Dasher

Dasher

Legs 11

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:24 PM

I had an issue and the car wouldn't start. Called RACQ, the car wasn't responding to the security in the key. So he disconnected the battery let it sit for 3 mins, reconnected, sit 3 mins, turn on ignition ( not start ) , sit 3 mins, turn off ignition , start.
After this when I would fill up the distance to empty would read 900's whereas before it was 700's.
Car runs better and economy is better.
I feel it's like a computer reinstall, the software get cluttered, so reinstall and start afresh.
I also think (right or wrong) when mazda do the upgrade it doesn't fully clear the old software, doing the ecm reset does just leaving the new one.

Just an opinion.
Peter

Filled up yesterday having done 495k on 57.92 lt. at 11.70 lt per 100k down from 12.72 & decided to do reset as above.
Carried out procedure above and immediately got a figure if 920 estimated K's on dash instead of 705k when I filled before I did reset.
Let's see what happens?
Thanks Eggy.

#20 Frankp

Frankp

Redline in 2nd Gear

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Off road, outback and remote area touring

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:39 PM

I wonder if that reset just clears out what the fuel calculator has learned over time.

My fuel consumption is up a bit over specs due to weight and loss of aerodynamics with a tradie canopy and roofracks.  With each refill, my calculated fuel consumption, Scangauge consumption and the Mazda's don't differ by much, which suggests to me that the Mazda has "learned" my higher consumption and stores it.

I will try the reset and see if I get a magical improvement in estimated k's over what the display normally says at each refill.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users