• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 davo @ leeman WA

davo @ leeman WA

Power Band in 2nd Gear

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

About 160kms out of Kunnunurra , fault light comes on and ute goes into limp mode. Managed to get to a place called Doon Doon, just a road house .
Bloke pulls up next to me in another BT50, says his company has a fleet of them in NSW and this happens all the time. Just turn it off wait about 5 mins and start it up again, the fault light will be off and it will be all good. So thats what I done , away again for about 2 kms and it goes into limp mode again.
Had to do the next 150kms towing the van at between 60 and 80 kms/hr, not much fun.
The RAC mechanics in Kunnunurra could not locate any specific fault, other than "High Intake Air Flow" which he was quite sure was due to a faulty sensor, I mentioned that it might be due to a split intake hose as I had heard of this fault before, he didnt want to listen to me. He took it into the workshop for about an hour then took it for a drive, still the same, told me to come back on Tuesday, this was Friday.
Went back to the van park, lifted the bonnet, put my hand along the intake hose near the battery and there was a split Icould push my finger into.
Went to the local Bridgestone Tyre mob, took the hose off and got the bloke to put a tube less tyre patch over the split. I then wrapped some Gorilla tape over it and put 4 hose clamps over it all.
I have made it to Darwin with this patch and am waiting for a new hose to be delivered, I reckon it will last forever, might just keep the new one as a spare.
RegardsDavo

• Eggy and ANT1967 like this

#2 eddii

eddii

80 kph

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning and Fishing :)

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:45 AM

Great find Davo, thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll remember to look at the intake hose if I do get this error.

Do you happen to have a pic of where this split was?

2012 XTR Black; Mods: Mazda Bullbar, Towbar, Ironman 4x4 Canopy, Lightforce LED215, LEDBar, Colour Coded Factory Alloys, 12"Sub Under rear seat, Dual Battery, Clearview Towing mirrors, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.

#3 BergDonk

BergDonk

Donut King

• PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:46 AM

Nice work!

I got a Plazaman replacement as a preemptive measure. Last service the mech queried me on it, asked if I'd had a problem. I was impressed that he'd spotted it.

#4 davo @ leeman WA

davo @ leeman WA

Power Band in 2nd Gear

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:19 PM

I will try and post a pic of the repair job Eddii. Thats the same hose I am waiting for Berg.
RegardsDavo

The bloody computer will not let me add a file Eddii, but the split was under the hose just near the corner of the battery.Attached File  20170724_075423(1).jpg   476.4KB   8 downloads

Edited by davo @ leeman WA, 24 July 2017 - 05:24 PM.

#5 Hoyks

Hoyks

100 kph

• PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:03 PM

Looks like a legit battle damage repair.

#6 craig1

craig1

The Zoomiest guy ever

• 300 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:23 PM

worm drive warrior

• poppa smurf likes this

#7 ANT1967

ANT1967

60 kph

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Travelling
    Prospecting

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for posting this Davo

Well done on the fix.

Gotta luv Darwin , spent 6 months there in the van in 2011

Enjoy the warmth ...!

#8 Lukifil

Lukifil

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:29 PM

Well done Davo, I came thru Kununurra 5 weeks ago into Darwin and just had an 80k service on my 2014 BT (Del 1/15) to be  handed a quote for Intercooler hose that had split, plus a leaking front shocker. Well, both being fixed under warranty now. I have not experienced your problem but when in cruise control going up a steep incline towing van I thought I had accidently hit the cancel button as I lost power, and had to change down a gear to get up the slope. Thinking of getting Plazaman as a back too as suggested by BergDonk. 

regards Lukifil

#9 simonk

simonk

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:27 AM

Mine did the same, I patched it with a coke can (ie cut of top and bottom off, and slit length way and wrap around split) tape it up and its good to go. I replaced with now with a full stainless steel pipe.

• ANT1967 likes this

#10 Frankp

Frankp

Redline in 2nd Gear

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Off road, outback and remote area touring

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:13 PM

snip...

I have not experienced your problem but when in cruise control going up a steep incline towing van I thought I had accidently hit the cancel button as I lost power, and had to change down a gear to get up the slope.

.... snip

regards Lukifil

If towing uphill in cruise control, I've found it will do two downshifts and stay in cruise.  If it needs a third downshift then cruise drops out and it behaves exactly as if you hit the Cancel button with foot off the accelerator.

Cheers

#11 eddii

eddii

80 kph

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning and Fishing :)

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

Thanks Davo, I'll have a looksy at mine  :yes:

2012 XTR Black; Mods: Mazda Bullbar, Towbar, Ironman 4x4 Canopy, Lightforce LED215, LEDBar, Colour Coded Factory Alloys, 12"Sub Under rear seat, Dual Battery, Clearview Towing mirrors, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users