Mazda B5 for my Festiva WA (121 DA)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Click_It

Click_It

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:44 PM

Hey guys, I've owned a Ford Festiva WA (Mazda 121 DA) for several years and have been actively part of the USA FordFestiva forums. I have done various things to it over the years including the "Aspire swap" which is pulling all the axles, suspension, sway bars, etc off a later model Festiva (known as Aspire in USA), riding on 15" wheels (up from 13") , 2.5" straight through system, and a lot of other bits n pieces.

We used to also own a 121 Bubble 1.5L DB1052 which I enjoyed driving a lot. In America the popular engine swaps are B6, B6T and BPT engines. Nobody there touches B5's because they are very rare where the other engines are cheap and common so they go down that path. I like doing things differently so I'm ready to find a B5 engine for my Festiva. These cars are obviously lighter than the bubble by ~60kg so that's a power-to-weight ratio benefit right away. I'm on a budget so it won't be a full rebuild but we'll certainly go over anything that needs attention and throw on some headers and simple upgrades before it goes in, with the real possibility of a turbo somewhere down the track (that's where these forums will come in handy I think!)

So I just wanted to both introduce myself and also get some thoughts on the project ahead.

I plan to source a donor car rather than just the engine, should be easier that way.

I'm not real familiar with the Festiva WB-WF which also use the B5, whether or not that's a better option or not I'm unsure. Probably exactly the same though maybe more available (more of those around than 1.5L powered 121's)

Lastly, I'd love to add Airconditioning to my Festiva too, I don't really know what I'm getting into here yet, I was told I'm probably best to get an AC unit out of a Festiva WA or 121 DA, I'm not sure if AC from 121 DB or later model Festiva will work. Or possibly I have to go down the path of 3rd party manufacturer entirely. AC isn't a deal breaker but this car sure gets warm in summer and a B5 will have the balls to power it at least.

So that's me (and this is my car below), hi all and I hope to get some feedback :smile:

27xo3l3.jpg

#2 Click_It

Click_It

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:57 AM

It's a shame these forums are so quiet. Not much love for the older era 121's here :(

#3 Cliesunort

Cliesunort

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:33 PM

. t .

Edited by craig1, 12 August 2017 - 05:48 PM.
not mazda related

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users