• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 redeye

redeye

First Gear

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:23 PM

2009, 3.0lt, BT 50, any reason I shouldn't use 5th gear when towing? (box trailer with ride-on mower, maybe 1500kg...)

Edited by redeye, 05 May 2017 - 10:24 PM.

#2 poppa smurf

poppa smurf

Zooming along

• PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:metal fabrication, timber fabrication, travelling, yakking (my favourite pastime)

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:22 PM

none that I can see or heard of, I tow with a 6 speed manual, pulling roughly 2 tonne, I regularly use 6th......just keep the revs up around the 2,000 rpm mark

everyone calls me Poppa or simply Pops, have done for a long time now.....don't fret the small stuff...... 

#3 craig1

craig1

Zoom Zoom

• 296 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:42 PM

A lot of 5/6th overdrive gears are pretty weak, toyota is one, so for some reason putting additional stress on them can ultimately wreck that gear or become prone to ' jumping out of top gear". just imho. cheers Craig

#4 redeye

redeye

First Gear

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:57 PM

I traded up to this from a 2003 Bravo 2.6 and was told l shouldn't use 5th gear when towing with the Bravo, thought perhaps this Bt50, being 4x4, it might be a stronger box, but.....

#5 Hoyks

Hoyks

100 kph

• PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:57 PM

Probably not.

I had a Courier and the only difference between the 4x4 and 2x4 gearboxes was that the 4x2 had a longer output shaft and a straight extension housing bolted on the back where the transfer case attached to the 4x4 version.

I hardly towed with it, but my Dad had it before me and he would let it lug in what I considered too higher a gear (poping it into 5th at around 60km/h), anyway, the 5th gear bearing failed leaving me to drive 80km home with 1st and 4th.

So, with that, I don't tow in top gear. You may use a bit more fuel, but the full rebuild was around $3000, and I did the remove and install.

Edited by Hoyks, 07 May 2017 - 08:57 PM.

#6 redeye

redeye

First Gear

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:25 AM

yeah, it seems it's not a good idea - read a lot on different forums and the posts from tranny mechanics is that its a def no no

#7 Phillthy

Phillthy

Zoom Zoom Zoom

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:55 PM

With a light load and a 5 speed you are still going to use top on the flat and down hill.

Just don't torture it and change down early for hills.

#8 matthias

matthias

Third Gear

• PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:43 PM

2008 4x4 BT50, manual.   I tow a 22ft van weighing in over 2t.

I use 5th gear all the time and able to maintain the speed limit.  I drop back to 4th on hills as soon as the speed starts to drop off.

My original gearbox was replaced under warranty at 50 000 km.  It started jumping out of 5th gear.

I have now done 130 000 km and no problems driving in the same manner as before. 

It is my understanding that the 5th gear was a bit on the weak side but they have been modified.

As for dealers saying not to use 5th gear when towing, only indicates to me that the gear boxes are under engineered.

Every gear should be strong enough to withstand the full power of the engine under the vehicles maximum load.

Any failures indicates a weak gearbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users