• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bigjon

bigjon

60 kph

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:50 PM

HI does anyone else have trouble hearing there sat nav over the radio i have it set on max volume but still cant here it is there a fix that anyone knows of.

Cheers

#2 TravellingSparky

TravellingSparky

60 kph

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:01 PM

Unusual, what year is yours?  Typically the radio mutes when the SatNav is giving any instructions, so you shouldn't have to try to hear it at all over the radio.

#3 bigjon

bigjon

60 kph

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

Unusual, what year is yours?  Typically the radio mutes when the SatNav is giving any instructions, so you shouldn't have to try to hear it at all over the radio.

HI mate its a late 2016 model 

#4 TravellingSparky

TravellingSparky

60 kph

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:39 AM

Have you had all the latest patches done?  Since August 2016 mine has had four software updates due to various issues, with the last one being done early January.  In the owner's manual it states that the radio will mute anytime there are instructions from the SatNav, and this has always been the case in mine.  I would be swinging past a dealer and getting the latest firmware flash done - won't take more than 10 minutes.

Edited by TravellingSparky, 18 April 2017 - 10:39 AM.

#5 bigjon

bigjon

60 kph

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

Have you had all the latest patches done?  Since August 2016 mine has had four software updates due to various issues, with the last one being done early January.  In the owner's manual it states that the radio will mute anytime there are instructions from the SatNav, and this has always been the case in mine.  I would be swinging past a dealer and getting the latest firmware flash done - won't take more than 10 minutes.

Cheers mate no i have not had any patches done i will have to swing by and ask them about it.

However i did fix the problem i had to go into the sat nav settings and strangely enough the volume setting done nothing but when I turned  the volume knob on the stereo it adjusts  the sat nav voice and fixed the problem.

Just out of curiosity do you know what the January patch fixed .

#6 Phillthy

Phillthy

Zoom Zoom Zoom

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:22 PM

Yeah, there are some funny settings on that screen.

I changed it so it kept going back to radio screen after a minute or 2. 

Didn't really indicate it would change that so took weeks to undo the setting.

I think the radio still mutes as you do need that feature to hear it's directions.

Not sure if it mutes for camera alerts which is important in unknown areas.

#7 TravellingSparky

TravellingSparky

60 kph

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:55 AM

Hi bigjon,

The first patch I had done in late August 2016 was to fix the SatNav being about 45 - 60 seconds behind where you actually were on the road.  It would tell you to take the next left at a road you had passed about 300m back.  Was about a 10 minute job.

Second patch about 6 weeks later was because SatNav was locking up and freezing on screen disabling all other buttons (required turning engine off to reset). It was also not remembering a lot of my phone contacts and would regularly not connect to my phone (hands-free for me is pretty important for my job).  Also FM radio reception was less-than-woeful if I got any more than about 20km out of town.  Left my car for the day but I believe it was also a quick software patch.  It didn't fix poor reception.

Third patch in November was again for SatNav where the voice prompts just suddenly stopped working mid-drive and I again brought up the poor FM reception.  The patch fixed the SatNav (and they loaded HEMA maps for free) but no difference to reception.  I have had no issues with SatNav since.

Fourth patch in January when I took car to another dealer to get the FM reception sorted once and for all.  They told me there was a newer software version that supposedly improves reception (I was skeptical) and they flashed it while I waited (about 10 minutes).  Strangely FM reception has now improved from less-than-woeful to just crappy ( I can now travel about 40km out of town and still get reception.  Woo-Hoo double the distance).  

I travel a lot for work and the FM reception shi*s me to tears, plus the fact that I have 3 Apple iPods of different models but apparently none of them are compatible with this dodgy "entertainment" system, yet they all work in every other car I have owned including my wife's cheap-as-chips 2017 Hyundai Accent. 

#8 combo42

combo42

60 kph

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

The trouble with the media and navigation unit in the BT50 is that it is MS-Windows based. (explains performance problems, Windows does not run well on underspec'd hardware, nor does it run on modern ARM based processors (which are found in all apple and android phones!)

The  industry is moving to Android Auto and Apple car play.

So the Hyundai range of cars all come with Apple and Android integration built in!

If Hyundai made a ute, I reckon I would buy it as my wifes 6 year old IX35 stereo works a treat with Android phones and has never missed a beat (diesel engine).

Having said this, I have not had any firmware fixes to my 2016 BT50!

I always give up on FM reception once I leave Melbourne, because if you can't see the FM transmitter tower, you won't get a signal as FM is line of sight for best reception.

#9 TravellingSparky

TravellingSparky

60 kph

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

I always give up on FM reception once I leave Melbourne, because if you can't see the FM transmitter tower, you won't get a signal as FM is line of sight for best reception.

Yes the radio is poor compared to other modern vehicles.  Traded in my VF SV6 Sportswagon for the BT-50 (now the Holden has a phenomenal digital entertainment system - hell I miss it).  I think what peeves me most is that I have service contracts to many "remote" sites that I visit regularly for the last 23 years.  Five are in Port Pirie (predominantly dead flat motoring 220km north of Adelaide) and several in the Riverland (up to 190km north east).  

In all my 23 years of travelling these runs - which I do monthly so have done these runs quite a few times - I have been able to pick up Adelaide commercial FM stations to within 25km of Port Pirie (reception fails just after Crystal Brook) and also the first 100km of the Riverland run (varies but drops out about Blanchetown or up to 15km prior), where I then tune into their local stations.  I have done these runs in 14 different vehicles, including an old EH Holden with push-button FM radio (those were the days).  Every vehicle gave me reception up to the points mentioned above.  The BT-50 radio cuts out at tops 40km into either of these journeys now.

I videoed with my phone (to show the service centre) me pulled over doing an auto-search and finding absolutely nothing at 50km north of Adelaide, yet I had a 1980s old school transistor radio in the car with me and demonstrated that I could pick up Adelaide stations with that!!  And it was inside the car with me, so no roof-mounted antenna!  And what's with the USB input being inside the glovebox??  How inconvenient is that?

Edited by TravellingSparky, 20 April 2017 - 10:46 AM.

#10 Phillthy

Phillthy

Zoom Zoom Zoom

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:28 PM

Prob just Mazda can't figure out what causes  the problem.

It's only some of them and mine is fine and a 16 model. Had Triple M going with Hema maps in a state forest near Jenolan Caves today.

Just lost volume in the low spots. Was suprised how it came through on the high sections. 

Screen has never faulted but some stuff is not as user friendly as the Holden one.

#11 combo42

combo42

60 kph

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:51 PM

I fiddled in my car today and I can't believe what is happening, coming back to original request.

Yes there is a volume adjustment for the Sat nav.

However, what I have realised, is that  this is for a speaker that is not part of the media set up.

I adjusted all my speakers to go to rear left of car.

When sat nav wanted to give me directions it did not suppress the radio which was now playing in rear left speaker.
The lovely sat nav lady was speaking out of the foot well of car, or front right speaker. (I did not want to stick my head under the dash whilst attempting to drive!)

Pity I have just had 10k service, could hopefully have confirmed with Mazda!

#12 Phillthy

Phillthy

Zoom Zoom Zoom

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:45 PM

As long as you crank up the nav volume and the radio mutes it is OK to hear.

Had to play with mine as was not hearing it well at 1st.

#13 fatboy

fatboy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:18 PM

You have to turn the volume up when the Sat Nav is giving directions. It MUST be done when Sat Nav is talking to you. It will then keep this level for Sat Nav. Radio will mute and you will hear Sat Nav clearly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users