19 replies to this topic

#1 Rexie

Rexie

Unlucky

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Travelling Australia

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

I am currently a Prado 150 owner towing a van looking to update my vehicle. After plenty of research it has come down to the Ranger or BT50 which I understand are basically similar vehicles. The BT50 gets more ticks but...... I understand we all have rights to opinion but I find the styling of the BT50 is just plain ugly.

Does anyone know when a model update is due or any ideas to make it less ugly.
2013 Mazda BT50GT with adventure pack, long range tank, sports canopy, dual batteries towing 21 foot 6 inch Jayco Sterling. Just back after 14 months around Australia for a few months before we head off again with the new car.

#2 chopperp7

chopperp7

60 kph

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

The TJM bullbar and X-ray lights do a great job if covering the ugly.

Posted Image

#3 cybersnas

cybersnas

Power Band in 2nd Gear

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

They tried to make the Ranger look American to appease the bogan tradesmen,but the BT has style and flair and is a beautiful looking car. I have been towing a caravan around Australia for 18 months and my one regret is that I put a bulbar on it. I wish that I had left it off because it hides the sleek styling and also interferes with the aerodynamics. But that is just my opinion, trust me you will get used to it, remember how strange the Mitsubishi ute looked like when it first came out. You don't even notice them now.

#4 btute

btute

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

I was in a similar situation as you, was a prado 150 owner with a van which was over gvm, looking at the ranger and bt50 the ranger was slightly more expensive but the bt rear suspension is more rigid ideal for towing. I was the same, the front of the bt is butt ugly but I purchased the gt fitted an ARB bullbar and a flexiglass canopy and I have no regrets. Pulls the van like a dream. Genuine bullbars look dame Edna glasses.
Ridiculous.

#5 Rexie

Rexie

Unlucky

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

Thanks BTute. Yes a dam shame that the Prado is rated so low for towing. My VX Prado is perfect as I have spent a bit of money on extras but I am on the edge as far as towing capacity. How did you find going from the Prado which drives like a car to the BT50.
2013 Mazda BT50GT with adventure pack, long range tank, sports canopy, dual batteries towing 21 foot 6 inch Jayco Sterling. Just back after 14 months around Australia for a few months before we head off again with the new car.

#6 Ute driver

Ute driver

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

Picked up my BT-50 XTR on Friday and traded in my 2010 VX Prado 150. Loved the Prado but now loving the 50. Easy swap mate and having noticed any real driving difference yet.

#7 Rexie

Rexie

Unlucky

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

If it not a rude question, what was the change over? I have a Nov 2010 VX with 65,000 klm and I am looking at either the XTR or the GT as I love the leather.

Edited by Rexie, 09 September 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#8 Ute driver

Ute driver

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

I got offered between $44k and $52k from different dealers... 

#9 Rexie

Rexie

Unlucky

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

I got offered between $44k and $52k from different dealers...

That is about what I was expecting. Thanks.

#10 Steve18

Steve18

Zoom Zoom Zoom

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

Can honestly say that while the styling does appear to be very different, like other posts have said the Mitsubishi Triton was "ugly" to start with too but it doesn't look that out of place these days. I believe the same applies to the BT - and once you start to drive it, especially with a caravan on the back like we do, you'd never go back! They are just brilliant and towing is an absolute breeze. Not only that but plenty of people in caravan parks that we have stayed at have commented on how different and good they actually do look - depends on your own opinion I guess. Of course stock standard they seem a bit different, but by the time you add bits to them like maybe a nudge bar or driving lights or a canopy on the back, they become pretty good looking vehicles.

#11 Rexie

Rexie

Unlucky

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

Can honestly say that while the styling does appear to be very different, like other posts have said the Mitsubishi Triton was "ugly" to start with too but it doesn't look that out of place these days. I believe the same applies to the BT - and once you start to drive it, especially with a caravan on the back like we do, you'd never go back! They are just brilliant and towing is an absolute breeze. Not only that but plenty of people in caravan parks that we have stayed at have commented on how different and good they actually do look - depends on your own opinion I guess. Of course stock standard they seem a bit different, but by the time you add bits to them like maybe a nudge bar or driving lights or a canopy on the back, they become pretty good looking vehicles.

Thanks second gear

I guess I am just a bit stayed and like the look of the Ranger. I won't be back from our 'lap' until mid next year so I will have plenty of time to get used to it.

#12 cybersnas

cybersnas

Power Band in 2nd Gear

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

I got the XTR and added leather, I think it is a cheaper option than the GT.

#13 Rexie

Rexie

Unlucky

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

Great idea, didn't realise you could do that. Thanks because that is exactly what I am after.

#14 cybersnas

cybersnas

Power Band in 2nd Gear

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

Great idea, didn't realise you could do that. Thanks because that is exactly what I am after.

They will do anything you want if they want to sell you the car, the dealer I went to in Melbourne suggested it.

#15 Rexie

Rexie

Unlucky

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

Well after looking at both the BT50 and the Ford Ranger I have now made a decision. I am buying a BT50 with the adventure pack, sports canopy, long range tank, dual batteries, reversing camera and sensors. I was blown away as it how well it drove. Can't wait to hook it up to the van.

#16 Baz 460

Baz 460

Power Band in 2nd Gear

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:56 AM

Rexie.

Mate I was in a similar situation 12 months ago, after 6 GXL Cruiser Wagons, I wanted a Ranger, the Ford dealer played hard ball, so I went down the road and bought a 2013 XTR GT, and saved myself $11,000 in the process, and couldn't be happier, I have fitted ECB Bull Bar, Hella HID Driving Lights( 100 Watts) Dual Batteries, Snorkel, 3' Exhaust System, CB Radio and put 18' Rims on with 265x65x18 Falken Wildpeak Tyres, Tow Bar, and currently waiting of a set of Flares from Brisbane,( the tyres stick out a bit)

On the looks side of it, I must agree to some extent, my only real complaint is the Tail Lights.........UGLY!!!!! ,,,,,, but I like the look of the rest of the car, and unlike the rangers, I let my car sit for up to 3 weeks at a time without starting it and," No Flat Battery".

Cheers Baz.

#17 Rexie

Rexie

Unlucky

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

Ok I weakened and signed a deal on a BT50GT, I have had the adventure pack added which has cleaned up the front. Fortunately I will have van on the back.

#18 BigJim

BigJim

Power Band in 2nd Gear

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

I also got myself a new XTR the other day, I didn't like the looks of the new BT50 when they first came out but now love them, one of the better looking Dual cabs I think

#19 Rexie

Rexie

Unlucky

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

Yes BugJim, it is starting to grow on me, love driving it. After coming out of a Prado 150 VX I was concerned that the BT50 would be too trucky but I am loving the raw grunty feel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#20 Toyman67

Toyman67

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

Rexie, I too gotten the BT 50 bug - being a vivid Toyota owner - Hilux's  and still have my Prado 120, I do find the BT 50 smooth to drive , not ute like and definitely not truck like. it tows better than the Hilux.

the BT 50 is my everyday driver used for work in all situations from city driving to country , only thing I find is it size it feels bigger than Hilux or Prado and has a larger turning circle.

overall a very happy camper, I can see my self touring with this beast more soon.

it was a toss up between ford & Mazda and glad I picked Mazda , it felt better -also it becomes a talking point around smoko time.

it is going take a bit for the Hilux's to catch up - the new model is coming 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users