Mazda 6 Diesel DPF Removed!

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 nimrod

nimrod

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

After having numerous issues with a 2007 Mazda 6 Diesel, with all the issues being around the DPF, I decided to bite the bullet and remove the DPF.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); "><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); ">The car had gone into limp mode once again, and this time it wasn't coming out until something major was done. It was either replace the DPF via Mazda (approx 6-8K), sell the car for scrap, or remove the DPF.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); "><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); ">See the pics below, I took the DPF canister off the car, cut the canister and removed the filter. Then welded the canister back up and put it back in place.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); "><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); ">Then after a tonne of research I was able to get in touch with a company that manufactures DPF emulators.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); "><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); ">I hooked the emulator up to the vehicle and took it for a test drive, DPF light went out, engine light went out and car was out of limp mode.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); "><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); ">Have done around 1000km of driving with it, both highway and around town and the car has never run better before, no regens, no DPF light and no limp mode.

Just taken off the lid.. as can be seen the filter is fairly damaged and burnt.
Posted Image

Filter removed, note the end all burnt up, this was how it was when pulled out. The damage wasn't due to the removal.
Posted Image

Empty canister
Posted Image

All welded back up ready to be put back on.
Posted Image

#2 chief tool

chief tool

Zoomin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

nice welding job!

#3 Elmo

Elmo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

May I know where you got that emulator?

#4 Pop

Pop

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

HI, would be interested in an update on how your car is going now and if there have been any problems. We too are having issues with the DPF in our 2007 6. We have only ever used the Mazda oil in the car and so they are saying that we have too many short trips which is causing the issue. Hard to justify the $130/hr they want to hook it up for a minimum three and a half hours (could be up to six apparently) so I,m keen to remove the DPF.

The only issue we have is that the light is activated. Is there a way to reset this?

Thanks

#5 Pop

Pop

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

HI, would be interested in an update on how your car is going now and if there have been any problems. We too are having issues with the DPF in our 2007 6. We have only ever used the Mazda oil in the car and so they are saying that we have too many short trips which is causing the issue. Hard to justify the $130/hr they want to hook it up for a minimum three and a half hours (could be up to six apparently) so I,m keen to remove the DPF.

The only issue we have is that the light is activated. Is there a way to reset this?

Thanks

#6 Wandah

Wandah

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

After having numerous issues with a 2007 Mazda 6 Diesel, with all the issues being around the DPF, I decided to bite the bullet and remove the DPF.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); "><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); ">The car had gone into limp mode once again, and this time it wasn't coming out until something major was done. It was either replace the DPF via Mazda (approx 6-8K), sell the car for scrap, or remove the DPF.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); "><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); ">See the pics below, I took the DPF canister off the car, cut the canister and removed the filter. Then welded the canister back up and put it back in place.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); "><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); ">Then after a tonne of research I was able to get in touch with a company that manufactures DPF emulators.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); "><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); ">I hooked the emulator up to the vehicle and took it for a test drive, DPF light went out, engine light went out and car was out of limp mode.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); "><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); ">Have done around 1000km of driving with it, both highway and around town and the car has never run better before, no regens, no DPF light and no limp mode.

Just taken off the lid.. as can be seen the filter is fairly damaged and burnt.
Posted Image

Filter removed, note the end all burnt up, this was how it was when pulled out. The damage wasn't due to the removal.
Posted Image

Empty canister
Posted Image

All welded back up ready to be put back on.
Posted Image

Im having all the same problems with my 07 Mazda 6 MZR CD. Deciding wether to replace the PDF with an aftermarket from UK or go the DPF delete route and get rid of the problem once and for all.
Would really like an update on wether you have had any ongoing issues.
THANKS !

#7 HQ48

HQ48

60 kph

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Thanks

Hi Pop, I removed my DPF on my 2007 6 wagon about 2 months ago and have had no problems. I got the emulators from OMG Performance in England. They use two emulators, one for the DPF and the second for the heat sensers. A local exhaust shop did the fitting and they got an auto electrician to fit the emulators and reset the computer (I think he used Ford Mondao software - it's exactly the same moter, PDF and computer). All up it cost me $872.00 which was a tad less than the $7,800.00 quoted by the local Mazda dealer to replace the DPF.

#8 Chip Tuning

Chip Tuning

Donut King

• PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Diesel Engine Tuning

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

If the eliminators are just fooling the engine into thinking it is still in warm up phase, is that not affecting other engine parameters like turbo boost, fuel trims and injection timing?

This is my experience of anything that grabs the engine temps and thus is not the best solution to overcome the DPF issue on these vehicles.

However, we still provide these Emulators for those that want an easy fix.

Edited by Chip Tuning, 22 April 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#9 Chip Tuning

Chip Tuning

Donut King

• PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Nimrod are you using a DPF Emulator?

Edited by Chip Tuning, 02 December 2012 - 12:58 PM.

#10 Chip Tuning

Chip Tuning

Donut King

• PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

Wandah you do know we do the Mazda DPF Eliminator pipes right?

#11 Pgately

Pgately

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

Hi Guys
I have just been through the ordeal of the DPF regen and engine lights issues.
I have now replaced the DPF with a DPF delete pipe from Chip Tuning in Sydney 02 80901881 he also sells the pipes on Ebay $444.
I then drove the car down to Sydney were Robert used his new system analysis machine to download my engine management file which was sent to Europe for removal of any DPF and EGR functions overnight.
I returned the next morning were Robert , Zeroed all settings, reset engine and DPF lights and tested the injectors all from the comfort of the passengers seat.
Robert also did a 50/50 tune, removed speed limiter and a few other things.

So what was the result
When I purchased the car Second hand I was impressed with it performance and fuel economy getting 7.9L/100 on a trip but now that the DPF is removed and I get better gas flow and the new engine tune. I now get 5.1L/100 on a trip and the trip computer tells me I will get 1130km from a tank of fuel. The reality is that I drove from Hornsby to Murwillumbah 870Km on 3/4 of a tank of fuel and the fuel light did not come on until I had traveled 970km. So fuel economy is amazing.

Power
If you love your Mazda grunt now wait until you get rid of the DPF and have Robert do a retune.
One example, cruising at 110km on cruise control on the Gosford Expressway getting halfway up the north bound side of the Mooney Mooney Bridge and able to accelerate to 140km up the hill with ease.
Another example, one of the hills near home I regularly travel were I usually climb in third gear and down change to second for the hair pin turns, I now climb in forth and change back to third pulling out of the hair pin with ease.
Driving around town in third gear only changing down when almost coming to a stop or stoped as the car has so much low down power.

I am wrapped with the change in the cars performance and fuel economy and would recommend fixing your DPF problems with a DPF delete pipe and retune and removal of the DPF and EGR functions from your cars computer.
I can also vouch for Roberts professional service even though he works from home he has workshops near by that will replace your DPF pipe with the DPF delete pipe if you are unable to do so.

This is not an add, it is just me a business person with no connections Chip Tuning other than being a happy customer telling people with DPF problems that we have a solution here in Australia that works

I hope this is of some help to you all

#12 Chip Tuning

Chip Tuning

Donut King

• PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

Actually DPF Delete pipes are less now. Click on link below for more info

Mazda DPF Eliminator Pipe

This allows you to keep your own pipe in case you need it.

Edited by Chip Tuning, 22 April 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#13 wicksp

wicksp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hi guys

im looking at a mazda 6 MZR-CD. how much approx for the DPF delete and retune would i be looking at?

#14 Chip Tuning

Chip Tuning

Donut King

• PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

Having the car present we charge $1299 + the DPF Eliminator Pipe.

The tune includes a performance tune, DPF Off and EGR Off.

We also can do the Mazda Forced Regen and reset the counters (which is needed) so the counting down to regen doesn't occur again. Cost of this is $120.00

We can do an oil change at the same time.
This is the complete DPF Tuning offer.
Of course you can do your own oil and filter change. But you no longer need the low ash (expensive oil) any more.
You can read up on EGR System here:

EGR info on Chip Tuning website

We also can receive JUST the ECU. This process costs more as we need to open the ECU and rewire and reprogram. However, many from SA and WA are using this method.

Edited by Chip Tuning, 26 August 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#15 6oiler

6oiler

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

Hi Guys,

I also have had problems with dpf, as a result blew a motor, I am convinced it was due to fuel contamination of the oil, my original motor had 230,000 k and was always serviced and driven mostly on long highway trips, supposidly ideal conditions for the dpf to reburn itslef properly.

Mazda did not want to know, but with some perserverance they did acknowledge that they don't warn purchasers of the increased maintenaince costs and excessive charges for having mazda maintain a diesel ($700.00 to do a forced regen, $7,500.00 to replace a dpf)
I really like the car and it suits my needs , but very concerned many more owners have this issue coming at them once they get a few more k's. Mazda tried to tell me mine was the highest k's of its model ( 07 GG) in the country, something I find very hard to believe.

I have just fitted a great second hand motor from FORMAZ Parts Plus and had the dpf removed and motor chip done by Robert at Chip Tune, the verdict is the car is amazing, massive power and fuel use reduced by about 150km a tank, now getting 1000 to 1100 km a tank , mostly freeway driving, but still good around town.

I notice Mazda are now putting an insert in the owners manual of the diesel CX5 warning of the need to check and change oil very regularly and more info re dpf, this was sorely missing in the owners manual of my GG 6 and the Mazda dealers seem to be quite unaware of this dpf/ fuel contamination issue.

I am really surprised this whole dpf issue is not louder out there, seems to be a problem in many makes of car and certainly has a major impact on the life of a diesel, a bit of a contradiction when the tradition has always been diesels are long lived.
My suggestion, if your car has done more than 150,000km , get the dpf removed.

#16 Chip Tuning

Chip Tuning

Donut King

• PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

I want to say thanks to the forum members that are giving us a good review. The calls and emails are much appreciated.

Also, just so the info is on one post and for those that are interested.

General info on DPF process is here:
http://www.chiptunin...ion-Process.jpg

Info on Mazda DPF Delete is here:
http://www.chiptunin...nation-dpf-off/

Mazda DPF Delete pipes here:
http://www.chiptunin...pf-delete-pipe/

Denso DPF Emulators/Simulator info can be seen here:
http://www.chiptunin...ssan-denso-ecu/

Hope this helps

Cheers

Robert

#17 Dr. Teeth

Dr. Teeth

DRUNK/KNURD Theorist

• Social Contributor
  • 7,023 posts
  • Interests:Irradiating the world one cancer at a time!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

Quick question, does this happen in the Ford range of diesels too? Eg. Rangers, Couriers, Territory etc? Or is this a Mazda only deal. I'm just concerned that a friend at work has ordered a Ford Ranger and I think she said they're getting a diesel engine. I'd like to mention this issue to them before they go too far and get into trouble.

Also, to sum it up, how much does it cost for the fix to this costly issue? DPF delete and chip?
1st... 2nd... BOOM!!! 3rd gear... 3MPS, it's more than just a car.

#18 Chip Tuning

Chip Tuning

Donut King

• PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

No the Ford's Rangers, Territory etc don't have DPFs in them.

Just the reflash is $899 if we have the car here. DPF Delete Pipe is $399 and has all the sensors but in place. The Regen is $100.00, Labour to do Pipe is about $200.00. Oil change we can do or you can do yourself.

Actually the new 3.2 Ranger MAY have a DPF. Not sure. It does not a European engine in it so it might. The 500 Navara does and it too have a Euro engine. Merc diesels are supplied with DPFs too.

Edited by Chip Tuning, 22 April 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#19 Dr. Teeth

Dr. Teeth

DRUNK/KNURD Theorist

• Social Contributor
  • 7,023 posts
  • Interests:Irradiating the world one cancer at a time!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

Wasn't sure if the same tech was carried over to other models. Is there an issue with Euro engines with DPF burnouts?
1st... 2nd... BOOM!!! 3rd gear... 3MPS, it's more than just a car.

#20 Chip Tuning

Chip Tuning

Donut King

• PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

Wasn't sure if the same tech was carried over to other models. Is there an issue with Euro engines with DPF burnouts?

They all have a shelf life ... no matter which brand. Simply the filter blocks up and causes excessive DPF regens (then limp mode) and total failure of the porous materials from overtemp or it being totally blocked up where it cannot be regenerated anymore.

This is where engines can self destruct due to pressure and heat build up as the previous poster have advised.

Problem is that you go back to the dealer for a new part $7,000 - $10,000 and it will be just a delay in the whole process starting again.

My solution is a permanent fix at a fraction of the cost.

If the manufacturers and dealers ever get serious and reduce the price of the replacement DPFs to something acceptable ... say $1500 - $2000 then I wont have a job. Until then, business has been brisk. One lady from Wollongong told me since you have a niche in the industry you should put the price up. Posted Image LOL.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users