2003 mazda2 charge problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 teejaya

teejaya

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:04 AM

Hi all, my 2 has done only 102000km and the charge light is coming on. The unusual thing is after say 30 minutes of driving it goes out and charges as normal. I've come to the conclusion that something is making contact when the car is at running temp and disconnecting again when it is cool. It has been this way for 2 weeks or so.

I bought myself an alternator out of a low Km wreck and am probably able to fit it myself (through the headlight!!!) but i'm not convinced it IS the alternator. It seems strange that it is so predictable in the way it behaves, when hot then cold. Any suggestions as to whether it could be anything else and if so how to test if it is?

Thanks Trev.

#2 Crooky

Crooky

Zoom Zoom Zoom

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

Pretty much all late model mazda's use the PCM as the voltage regulator for the alternator. Simply put the alternator supplys charge but the PCM regulates how much the battery gets. What you need to get checked out is when the charge light is coming on how much voltage is the battery receiving(at the battery), should be around 14 volts if good. And check how much the alternator is producing by checking the voltage reading at the alternator itself(around 14v).

So if the alternator is producing 14V but the battery is only seeing say 10V you could pretty much say that there is a fault in the PCM. Obviously if the alternator is giving a low reading then that is at fault.

The otherway is to take it to your local dealer and to have them hook up to the scan tool which will give a reading as to what is going on.

#3 Kyoko Nitori

Kyoko Nitori

Second Gear

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I really love damn good cars.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

I bought this car with 29,000 miles on it. That was 3 years ago. It now has 90,000 miles on it. It has only had problem after problem - battery, multiple wheel bearings, tire links, brakes, alternator.
Why do you prefer to buy japanese cars like Toyota Vitz?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users